Our women’s intro to fly fishing course takes the intimidation factor out of learning how to fly fish. This women’s-only class is taught by Fishwest Fly Shop Guide Andrea Jeffery and Casting Instructor Audrey Wilson and covers everything you need to know to have a successful time on the river. Learn about gear, reading water, finding fish, identifying local fish species, rigging a rod, entomology, and tying basic knots. This class is roughly 6 hours long and has a 3:1 student-to-instructor ratio for more hands-on learning opportunities.
This class runs during our spring & summer months (May thru August) and is heavily dependent on water levels and conditions. Our current class offerings are listed below:
- Rigging basics - gear breakdown. Understanding equipment, right tool “toolbox”, set up rigs for current conditions and student preference/goals. Knots and fly selection based off entomology samples.
- Observations - noting weather, water flows & temperature, insects on the water surface, in the air, foliage
- Reading water and where fish hold - what trout need, identify pools, runs, riffles. Where, when, and why trout hold in different water types. Discuss when, why, and how to fish them.
- Approaching water – Grid. Start in close, work out.
- Basic Entomology- Using a biology siene net to survey selected areas & why, turn over rocks. Identify and discuss categories, stages and life cycles. Discuss fly imitations.
- Casting - Four change of direction casts, why and when.
- Presentation - Focusing on presentation and drift.
- Catch and release - Proper fish handling
- Wrap-up - Final Q&A
- Instructor(s), fly shop, and student introductions.
- Itinerary/class overview, safety, expectations, and fly-fishing etiquette
- Shop purchases
- Wader up
- Drive to river
Cost: $250 per person
Contact Us For More Information:
Please note: Cost does not include tax, valid Utah fishing license, or gratuity.
Meet at Fishwest Fly Shop in Kamas, Utah
To be decided based on weather and water conditions.
June 19th, July 17th
7-7:30 a.m. – weather and guide dependent
What is included:
Course includes rod and reel, wader, boots, all terminal tackle for class-only use. Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, we will not be providing lunch, please bring your own lunch, snacks, and beverages
This class is taught by Fishwest's very own Andrea Jeffery as well as FFI certified casting instructor and Audrey Wilson.